Saturday, November 9, 2013

Machetes


! Everything is still going great here in the DR! Halloween was nothing like it is in the States. The people here see Halloween as a day for the dead. They go visit the cemeteries and cry all day. It's actually a pretty sucky day here. Its not really happy and you don't get any candy. So I just went and bought my own. 

On Saturday it was some big service day for the church. We went to an orphanage for girls and cleaned up the place. There were only four guys so we had to do all of the landscaping. We had to cut the grass by hand with machetes. It was a back breaker... All of the women cleaned and braided the hair of the little girls. It makes me sad seeing so many cute little girls without a family. The family is the main source of happiness and joy in life. I think about how hard its been for me being away from my family for 2 months.  It has been the hardest two months of my life... I cant imagine of what its like not having a family. I am 99% sure that I am going to adopt a Dominican baby when I am older.

Anyways the update on the couple that was going to get baptized on my birthday but couldn't because they weren't married is that they are having their wedding this next week. Hopefully they are getting baptized the week after that. I love the people here so much! I know that I always say that but it is true! I feel like I'm the ward babysitter on Sundays because during church the kids are always swarming me because I give them candy. I connect with the kids so much more because they don't care that I can't speak the language. They are friends with everyone.

The bummer of my week was, one night we were at a members house having a little party. There was lots of food, dancing and karaoke we were taking tons of pictures. Some kids got a hold of my camera and ended up deleting 150+ pictures off of my camera. It stinks because I had some sweet pics. I had pics of a double rainbow, a lizard the size of my thumb nail and other sweet things. Its alright though, I have a little time here on the DR to take some sick pics.  

Today for P-Day we went on a sweet beach bike ride. We rode for about 10 miles I'm guessing. I cant get over how beautiful Nagua is. The days are always so colorful and bright. The nights make it feel like I am in Lake Powell with the warm temps and the zillions of stars.

I am still not 100% used to being a missionary so I still have rough days but I know that this is what I am supposed to be doing at this point in my life. I am so grateful for all of the support of my family and friends. I feel the help from their prayers every day. I miss everyone so much!

Love,
    Elder Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment